Ms Chocaholic with lots of opinions and an attitude

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Situation in South Thailand.....

Of late there has been incidents of violence on a daily basis. Last night my brother called and told me while driving home from Yala province (40kms from Pattani where my Mom and brother live) he picked up 2 victims that had just been shot!! One man was shot on the neck, while the other in the stomach. The perpretrators had just driven away on their motorbike probably no longer than 5minutes earlier, and ofcourse not before scattering those little sharp metallic objects to block the road (whatever you call those things..) serves 2 purpose...ofcourse block authorities from pursuing them, should they happen to be at the crime scene fast enough, but worse...it also blocks those that are trying to take the victims to hospital!! somehow my brother manage to get through and they were delivered to hospital for treatment. not sure how well they will recover though......

the other aspect that never fail to baffle is...at the time my brother drove by, there were already quite a few 'thai-mung' (onlookers) but no one made any attempt to take them to hospital? too concerned about getting blood smeared all over their car? but more than a concern for someone's life? having said that I must admit I dont know if I would be that brave myself. Mom commented whether our sales lady who was with my brother was frightened...brother said she seemed fine as she didnt say anything....my take on it is she was obviously shocked and too speechless to say anything......

I guess there really isnt any particular point Im making.....since I have had numerous discussions with friends and others over the last 2 years, and as long as the real cause cannot be determined, I dont see how any government, be in the previous Thaksin one, or the current military installed one, are going to solve the problem. anyhow....call it a venting out of frustration. ........not to mention how it makes me worry about my brother all the more..he can be quite stubborn and very determined about continuing a very 'normal' lifestyle so as to not let the militants achieve one of their goal of frightening all the non-muslims out of the area.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home