Ms Chocaholic with lots of opinions and an attitude

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My encounter with outright racist hatred

a bizarre incident this morning..I was at my usual bus stop, waiting for the bus to get in to work. As it does every so often..the bus was late..so there I was, sitting, waiting, watching the traffic slowly move past.....amidst the tens or hundred of cars that drive pass, another one comes by....woman driving, guy in passenger seat, has window rolled down, smoking...he glances over my way...I glance at him..and he starts to say something...so I turn wondering....what he was on about...

and well, there it is...racist hatred staring me right in my face! for no reason at all, hes gushing out all sorts of abusive language..words I wouldnt want to repeat, Im sitting there looking at his face in a bit of a shock, and he continues with..what are you looking at [insert rude adjectives], you want me to come and slap you in the face?
WHOA! the guy seriously has issues. My only regret is I was in such a shock that I was slow to react....the car was slowly moving away, else Id really have got up and asked him if he really dared to do anything or was he only capable of throwing abuse at women while sitting in a car.
I have worked with people who are subjects of abuse, racist remarks or all sorts of discrimination, have even been the subject myself in some subtle form, but this was my first encounter with blatant racism and hatred. I guess it was also the very coarse language that shocked me. I recovered in time to take their licence plate though...not sure what if anything I can do with it..but am certainly having a think about some kind of report to the police. Afterall he did threaten to hit me...

People have alluded to how Australia can have some very racist people, but in all my years here have not come remotely close to anything that would indicate this. So the experience today kinda threw me off. Yet I still wouldnt take this as a broad generalisation, and can only hope that given the vast number of immigrants that Australia is accepting, there will be enough done to educate and sensitise the local population. What I dont get is, how can anyone assume they are better than the rest simply because of the colour of their skin? Your skin colour really means nothing, its your attitude, personality and intelligence level that counts. And even with all that, no one is better than the rest, you are just different.

1 Comments:

  • My goodness, this is... really, bloody sad. :( I am sorry this happened to you.
    I also can't understand that one can honestly believe that they are better because of the color they have, it is so dumb, it is beyond my understanding. But sadly, the fact remains, that people like this really exist.
    I understand completely that you didn't know how to respond, when some one suddenly starts with horrible accusations, bad language and an aggressive attitude I sometimes also do not know how to respond. Especially when it comes out of nothing and no one prepares you for it. Also what makes an effective response hard, is the fact that it is soooooo hard to even understand what this person is actually thinking at this moment.
    I think this guy made a real fool of himself like this, and the reaction you have wanted to give him, might have be the right reaction, but I am also afraid that it could escalate the situation. So I can't help being also a bit glad that you didn't really respond, even through it might feel very unsatisfactory to you. Anyway, beside this being a sad happening, I'm glad that he didn't get out of the car.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:48 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home