Ms Chocaholic with lots of opinions and an attitude

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Anna and the King

so after having decided today will be my lazy day, I turned on the TV while having breakfast and find Anna and the King was on. given that its banned in Thailand, I thought this would be a good time to watch it and find out what all the fuss is about!

The first thing I noticed is that all the actors spoke Thai with a funny accent!! Thats cos none of them are Thai. makes sense I suppose...for whatever reason it is banned in Thailand, I imagine it would be hard to get Thai people to risk playing in the movie. Made for some weird experience....trying to understand the almost impossible to understand Thai, and reading the subtitle at the same time!!

Anyhow...after watching the whole movie, I cant see what the fuss is about??? I dont see how it portrays the King in any bad light. Sure it shows Siam (Thailand as it was called then), as a country with different practice...things we would frown upon today, and uncommon in the Western world back then, but not totally unheard of. (slavery, unequal rights of women). Slavery existed in even the country that tries to set itself as exemplary in human rights, the United States. And well, equality of women is something every country still struggles with today. Only difference is the rights granted to women in each country have progressed at different scales (granted that in many its still pretty much non-existent).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home